Parish Church of Agios Athanasios of Sikia

Parish Church of Agios Athanasios of Sikia

The massive temple of Agios Athanasios dominates the northern hill of Sykia which was built in 1814, was destroyed in 1854 by the Macedonian general Tsami Karataso, who stranded the Turks in the church who dominated Sykia, and burned them. The temple was rebuilt in 1856.
The wooden ceiling presents great interest and its wooden sculptured shrines, works of 1703, which seem to come from Agion Oros. The walls of the temple are also very characteristic and especially of its west profile.

Source: https://www.sithonia.gr